I'm a few clowns short of a circus, and unfortunately I've disillusioned myself into thinking I can write. Godspeed.

Sunday, February 03, 2013

Forget Scentsy!

I know it's been forever since my last post again, but sometimes I come across a product I love so very much that I can't think of a more appropriate outlet than a blog post. If you're like me, you probably know 1.4 billion people (or thereabouts) that distribute Scentsy, those little scented wax bars that you melt in a specially designed unit. If you're like me, you're annoyed with everyone approaching you to distribute or to buy from them exclusively, and you're doubly annoyed that if you just want to try one bar it'll cost you the price PLUS exorbitant shipping charges. Oh yeah, and those shipping charges don't even get the product to your house -- just to your distributor's house where they may or may not arrange to deliver.

Yes, I am not a fan of multi-level marketing companies, and I'll admit to that freely, but I also understand the appeal behind Scentsy completely.. You avoid the soot buildup of highly scented candles (I used to love Gold Canyon for their throw until I realized that no amount of wick trimming was going to save my windows from looking like they belonged to a chimney sweep), they are safer than leaving a candle burning, and you can swap out scents whenever you tire of the old one. They're also comparatively cheaper than candles -- One Scentsy melt provides roughly the equivalent scent as an average 7 oz. candle, which averages a few dollars more depending on quality.

I stumbled across something wonderful a few months ago. It's Scentsy but better. 

 This cute display belongs to a lady by the name of Patty who makes scented wax melts from her home.  The bars are the equivalent size to a Scentsy bar, she has about 300 permanent rotating scents (and does special requests all the time), the scent throw is phenomenal (think Yankee or GC, but soot-less) and one bar has lasted me just over a month.

I originally picked up her scents Bamboo and Sweet Tweet, and when I got home that night and put on ST all my fiance could remark is that our living smelled "Sweet and tropical".  We puzzled over the combination of scents that made up that intricate Caribbean smell and both agreed it smelled like a cocktail we'd both loved in Cuba.  It turns out that very scent was inspired by a special request for a Cuban cocktail that one of Patty's other customers had tried on her vacation, so I'll say she's pretty spot on with her special requests.

Bamboo is clean and uplifting.  It's the kind of smell you'd expect in a spa, and would immediately relax you.

Today I decided to go visit Patty and check out some of her other scents, and was pleased to discover that she has not only scented melts but room sprays and car air fresheners.  As a smoker who is consistently ashamed of that status, I'm always seeking something to keep my car smelling less like a driving ashtray, so I picked up a bottle of Sweet Tweet and Cool Citrus sprays for the vehicles.

I also picked up Gain (which makes my house smell like I've been doing laundry all day.. that's going to come in handy for those times I have company coming but don't want to really clean), Sugar Plum (smells blissful in my kitchen), Aloe & Clover (another relaxing spa scent), Ocean Mist and another package of both Sweet Tweet and Bamboo.

Patty also gave me a sample of a new melt she is experimenting with called Odour Out, which is reminiscent of clean, fresh-cut grass and has certainly perked up my fiance's games room -- incidentally the only room in the house that we allow smoking in.

I spent far less on all those products than I would for half as many from Scentsy, and I don't have to wait for my products to arrive in a week or two.  I supported a local small home-based business (that isn't in MLM), had a wonderful conversation and have plenty of new scents to enjoy at home RIGHT NOW. 

So I urge you all to do something for your local economy and find someone who locally makes a product you love and buy from them. You might be pleasantly surprised.

If you live in Southern Alberta or Southwestern Saskatchewan and want to try some of the Patty's "Heart Felt Melts", I suggest you check out her facebook page.  I know you won't be disappointed!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home