I'm a few clowns short of a circus, and unfortunately I've disillusioned myself into thinking I can write. Godspeed.

Thursday, January 07, 2010

Fighting the Battle of Who could care less

Sometimes I wonder why people even bother to get into relationships. Sure, there's the initial glow during the honeymoon phase, which all too quickly turns into obsessing over all-those-little-things-that-drive-you-batshit-crazy, which morphs into "What did I even see in you in the first place?" which crashes into the period I am in now -- "Who Cares Less?"

The basic premise of "Who Cares Less?" is that it's one giant game where you both pretend nothing the other person says or does bothers you, when in actuality everytime you talk you end up walking away uneasy about one thing or another. Not that the other person will ever (EVER) know until you decide to do what I'm doing now and just outright tell them. It's all the dumb little games where you send a text message to establish contact and then stop responding without saying goodbye. Where you call them up just to cut them off because you're so in demand you can't possibly take five minutes to hear what they have to say. Where you pretend you're both so nonchalant about everything, that everything in your world is so copacetic this is just the most minor of speedbumps in your road of life.

These are the games people play.

So why bother jumping into anything? Why not just date casually and see where things go and then maybe one day down the road you realize the person you've been seeing is everything you'd ever wanted in a mate and THEN (and only then) pursue a relationship? But why does everything need to be so reminiscent of high school, where the girl you like needs to become your steady girlfriend if she returns your affections? And then when it doesn't work out after a few months you both need to beat a dead horse in order to demonstrate to the other party how hurt you were, because the other option of shaking hands, sharing a quick hug and saying "Gee sorry it didn't work out, shall we just try being friends again?" seems like such a ridiculous one?

And all I keep thinking is that I was so looking forward to a reprieve after the craziness of the holiday season, and here I am so exhausted and indifferent I want to just zone out watching all 3 seasons of Arrested Development with a box of fudgecicles and a dog in my lap.

1 Comments:

Blogger DTD Time Traveler said...

Hmm...my last relationship never got to that stage. Instead we were on the edge of batshit crazy for months. It's probably worse....and more insane. Then when we broke up we never saw each other again...ever. Of course in a small town that is pretty impossible.

Thursday, January 7, 2010 at 9:06:00 PM PST

 

Post a Comment

<< Home