I'm a few clowns short of a circus, and unfortunately I've disillusioned myself into thinking I can write. Godspeed.

Friday, January 15, 2010

Adventures in Dating Sites

I'm trying to re-create a profile on a dating website. Not because I genuinely want to date anyone after the last 'relationship' but because it's always an easy way to meet new people. And I am still holding out hope that I am going to meet "someone cool" on one of these websites. Apparently I am still delusional.

My roommate created one a month or so ago and she's been having nominal success, but last night her sister and I sat down with her to browse through profiles and find men who seemed 1) hot, 2) reasonably intelligent and 3) sane. We found a few hits, but my personal favorite was one man who listed "sleeping" as one of his hobbies.

"Mmm, mine too", I replied, "followed a close second by a great bowel movement".

Her sister looks at me for a second to gauge whether or not I'm kidding and sensing no change in expression starts laughing hysterically.

I was so not joking, and I guess that's why I will never meet "someone cool" on a dating site. I'm far too honest.

3 Comments:

Blogger Helmsman said...

This comment is by no-means a critique on your approach or an authoritative outlook on the whole online dating scene... it's just a bit of my experiences interacting online.

(Oh, I happen to know an online dating consultant that specializes in geeks... if that appeals)

Anyhow, I've never been much on dating sites because I'm in a relationship, though those who know me know I'm a shameless insatiable flirt with just-about every girl I say more than 10 words to. So I don't go out looking for relationships on the internet... but I still find them often enough.

I've flirted with Christian conservative mothers, brilliant authors, English music lovers, Chinese students and more. A lot of them I've remained in contact with for years and have them as friends on facebook. They're cool folks. I've also met guys that I've become good friends with. The internet is full of folks that have the very same interests as me... and most of them I don't think are on online dating sites.

How have I met all these people? I could go into the minutae of it... but ultimately it came from going to people's blogs and commenting a lot. Joining conversations, following them on twitter, and adding my own perspectives to the conversation on my own blog. I asked questions, offered insights, gave humorous anecdotes and eventually was involved in their lives. Its a gradual process but making friends is about value and investment, there's no magic bullet for it.

This is why I consider the friends I've met online to be real friends, because I met them without the coloring agenda of intending to meet them in real life if they turn out to be who I like. A lot of people don't understand that... but to me being strictly friends online doesn't mean they're not a "real" friend.

Friday, January 15, 2010 at 11:12:00 AM PST

 
Blogger breepeace said...

Tony, my dearest, I agree wholeheartedly.

However, I suppose the idea of me joining a dating website is to find someone within my local region who might have the same interests.

Did I mention I started seeing someone? He meets the criteria. You'll meet him on Friday. :)

Tuesday, January 19, 2010 at 8:25:00 AM PST

 
Blogger Helmsman said...

I've been appraised of your weekend's exploits ;) I look forward to the pub.

Tuesday, January 19, 2010 at 11:12:00 AM PST

 

Post a Comment

<< Home