I'm a few clowns short of a circus, and unfortunately I've disillusioned myself into thinking I can write. Godspeed.

Thursday, December 17, 2009

Dashing through the... water?

Mondays are epically crappy enough, but when you combine them with no heat in your office on a day with temperatures nearing -40°C, it doesn't really entice you to be at your best.

By Tuesday morning I had woke up with what felt like a really bad chest infection so I called in sick and opted to lay in bed and moan to myself. A visit to the doctors resulted in her telling me what she normally does -- stop smoking so much in the blistering cold.

Thankfully because I called in sick, I missed what eventually turned out to be an even cooler day. Both boilers in the office broke down and left the ambient temperature in the office at around 6°C. For those unaware, most household refrigerators run at between 4-5°C.

It should have been no surprise to us when we walked in the doors on Wednesday morning to discover pools of water absolutely everywhere. A pipe had burst and left well over half the office under water, so like a bunch of refugees we grabbed what we could and tramped over to the hospital where they stuck us wherever they had room.

Since most of my job entails me to be in the office filing and generally organizing things, I am feeling particularly displaced. It means I have a lot of time to write long, pointless, rambling letters to my nearest and dearest (watch your mailboxes!), wander around looking for messages to deliver and generally to feel useless.

With all my free time I look forward to 'coffee breaks' even more, which is obviously contrary to Tuesday's doctor's orders and makes me feel especially awkward when I have to go stand on the sidewalk in front of the hospital and be leered at by old men driving their Crown Vics around town.

I cannot wait to be back at my desk in my own office.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home