I'm a few clowns short of a circus, and unfortunately I've disillusioned myself into thinking I can write. Godspeed.

Friday, March 20, 2009

Contemplating Going Veggie (but not PeTA crazy veggie)

I watched Fast Food Nation last night, and if you've seen it, I'm sure you were much like me and couldn't stomach the idea of eating cow for several days afterwards.

The thing is that lately I've been supplementing my diet with plenty of fruits and vegetables and I just feel -- better. All around. I bought some ground beef and frozen chicken breasts at the beginning of the month, but the chicken seems to be impossible to cook without getting rubbery and it's been frustrating, so I've pretty well passed on most meat based dishes in the past few weeks.

And yes, I'm a little embarrassed to admit that I heart McDonalds, and even partake in late night binges when I can be sure that no one I know is around to see me (except my Mickey D's cohort, who shall remain anonymous). Things like that, pepperoni and beef jerky (my meat avoidance kryptonite) are going to be tough for me to give up.

The biggest drawback -- besides my guilty pleasures, of course -- is that I hate being a burden on people when I'm a dinner guest, since I was always just taught to eat what was in front of you (except seafood, fish and organ meats -- serve me those if you want to be guaranteed that I'll always hesitate at your dinner invite). Having to make unnecessary restrictions on what your host is serving seems like kind of a pain in the ass move to me. I don't want to be the lone guest at a wedding who can't have the Chicken Kiev.

So I guess for the moment, I'm not going to be all gung ho and convert to a completely vegetarian diet, but it has been something I've contemplated a lot lately. Do they have a term for someone who eats primarily vegetarian options, but has been known to eat, and enjoy, chicken fingers? If there is, I'm dying to know.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

A lot of vegetarians (not vegans) only give up beef and pork... mostly due to the protein problems. After all if you go no meat you will have to talk to a doctor and figure out when vitamin supplements you need to talk... Charlotte had to do that

Tuesday, April 28, 2009 at 6:03:00 AM PDT

 

Post a Comment

<< Home