I'm a few clowns short of a circus, and unfortunately I've disillusioned myself into thinking I can write. Godspeed.

Sunday, August 03, 2008

Madrid

I got into Madrid at about 9 this morning, and at a paltry 24 above (that's centigrade, folks.. I am Canadian, after all) I figured I'd better find an internet cafe so I can book a hostel and be home free when the sun reaches it's peak at mid-day.

I wandered in vain, finding 2 that were closed because surprise, surprise, I arrived in predominantly Catholic Madrid first thing on a Sunday morning.. what did I expect??

Just happened to wander into a Faborit cafe to get a fruit juice and croissant and noticed they have free 15 minutes of internet with every purchase at their kiosk. Score. So I finally booked a hostel, which I, as of yet, have not found yet.

Did find an internet cafe that was open so I can upload my photos, and then try my luck with finding a taxi to the hostel. I'm so sick of my bloody pack already. I almost do envy those people who packed suitcases instead. Initially I thought they were the most daft people alive, but now I realize I would trade places with them in an instant.

I had a great last night in Lisbon. Switched hostels since the Easy Hotel Lisbon (highly recommended, BTW, but only if you are looking for a good time!) was absolutely booked, and went to a place called the Golden Residence a little farther outside of the downtown district. At first I was a little unsure, since the area looked completely dodgy and it is actually set up illegally according to the nazi at the building´s front desk, but it was actually pretty cute. Sort of like staying with a rich relative in Lisbon. Not super secure though, since none of the room doors lock, and the lockers were only big enough to put my daypack in.

I met 3 really nice Serbian girls there who asked me along to a Afro-Beat concert/festival that some American guy had invited them to that night, so at about ten, the American, David, picked us up and we met up with his friends Luke and Basilio at the museum. We were late, so they wouldn´t allow us into the main auditorium, but we ended up with private booths up top which was even better.

After that, David went and bought some beer and we all sat in a park drinking and talking. Basilio brought his dog, Ari, a German Shepherd-Pitbull mix and the 4 of us girls played with her for most of the night. It was very relaxing and lowkey for my last night in Lisbon.

The next day, Sandra, one of the Serbian girls, and I took a train to Cascais and then a bus on to Cabo de Roca which we were both told was the westernmost point in Mainland Europe. According to Basilio, who is from Madrid, there is actually another point that is accurately farther west, but the views from Cabo de Roca were enough that we didn't care about the exact positioning. One word of advice.. if you ever decide to go here, don't be a fool like me and wear a skirt. I had a few Marilyn Monroe moments, but I didn't look half as pretty.

We got back to Cascais later than we expected, as the bus was running about 1/2 an hour behind, and grabbed lunch and a cocktail from a sidewalk cafe before hitting the beach. Sandra forgot her swimsuit, so she just walked through the surf and I went out in the water. Keeping in mind I have a severe shark phobia, I only went about waist-deep since I could still see my feet, but I did go under and look for seashells for a bit.

Sandra went back to watch the bags and to have a nap while an Italian guy and I snapped pictures of each other playing in the water and exchanged awkward Ital-English pleasantries. This means there was a lot of gesturing.

Got back to the hostel at about 9, and I grabbed a shower and packed my bags so I could make my train to Madrid at 10 last night.

Got in, find what I assumed was my sleeper berth, and settled in. 2 really hot twins from Cancun got into the bottom bunks and we chatted for a bit until the conductor came along and informed me I still had one coach to go before my sleeper cabin. Damn. Apparently most trains in the Eurail network don't allow men and women who are not related to sleep in the same cabin together, so I had to leave my hot twins behind and climb into a cabin with 2 annoying compulsive Korean girls and a shy Brit. I did get a bunch of information from the boys about things to do in Madrid, Barcelona and Valencia before I left though, including a hot club in Barcelona that I really want to hit up.

I wouldn't really recommend Lisbon as much to people for a vacation destination, since it does kind of develop a monotony. The food isn't anything special, the streets are narrow and steep, and the stores and cafes are all pretty well similar. It is, however, very inexpensive as a rule (more expensive in touristy areas, obviously), HOWEVER.. outlying areas like Sintra and Cascais are highly recommended. Spend a day or two in Lisbon to take on the nightlife in the Bairro Alto and to take in the sights in downtown Lisbon and Belim, and then look into B&Bs outside the city, especially heading right to Southern Portugal. Unfortunately I didn't make it that far, but it's rumored to be breathtaking.

Anyhow.. my time is almost up and I should find my hostel.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home