I'm a few clowns short of a circus, and unfortunately I've disillusioned myself into thinking I can write. Godspeed.

Saturday, August 30, 2008

I am slowly growing sleepy...

Well, I didn't sleep really.

I had a catnap right after we set off, but the sun was beating down on me the entire time and there was a Greek guy across from me with the most obnoxious laugh, so it was a no go.

I tried after the sun went down again, but it went the opposite extreme. Between the moist air and the breeze over the deck, I was actually freezing, so I drifted in and out of consciousness for a bit.

I bet that if I tallied up the total number of hours I've slept in the past 5 weeks, it would boggle one's mind.

I'd wager a guess that it would average out to less than 5 hours a night.

Considering that many of my days couldn't really be considered sedentary (covering large cities on foot, scaling volcanoes and walking up thousands of stairs just for a great picture aren't my regular activities back in Canada amazingly), I'm actually pretty impressed with myself.

I suppose it is a little easier to wake up when your day consists of seeing some of the most beautiful places on the planet, sometimes followed by a refreshing dip in a blue-green sea.

I can't imagine why answering phones and filing paperwork doesn't illicit the same sort of enthusiasm from me.

So when I got off the bus from Athinios Port at Santorini's capital of Fira today, I didn't even hesitate to ask how much a PRIVATE room was from one of the many people offering rooms to let.

For 20 Euros a night I have hot water (oh, how I've missed you), a queen sized bed and central air in a cute room with a nice view on a beautiful island in a beautiful city.

Jealous yet?

Wait one second.. in my sleep deprived state I wrote just what I was feeling last night:

My definition of peace:

Watching the twinkling lights of beautiful little greek island towns greeting you across the water as you lounge on the deck of a ferry bound for your idea of heaven on earth accompanied by a paper, pen and good music on your MP3 player.


It's allowed to be a run-on sentence when it describes something that idyllic. It also didn't hurt to have a cute Aussie guy across from me.

Really. Mop up your drool.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home