I'm a few clowns short of a circus, and unfortunately I've disillusioned myself into thinking I can write. Godspeed.

Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Summer

There was a valid reason why I didn't post in so long and that was because I actually placed my dog, Summer, with a family here in the city. The decision took me over a year of deliberation as she became increasingly more destructive and her seperation anxiety became worse.

I tried everything.

Bach Flower Remedies, Toys, Treats, Long Walks, Mixing up my I'm-leaving routine, so it became commonplace -- I even tried a type of natural 'puppy prozac' similar to the Bach Flower Essence. Nothing seemed to work.

She destroyed 2 doors, 2 patches of carpet and stained my living room carpet to the point where a $40 1 gallon bottle of Nature's Miracle was only the starting point.

She simply was not happy unless I was here with her 24/7, and since someone has to pay for her to eat, that wasn't feasible.

So around Christmas, my mom got an inquiry from a guy who lives, literally, 7 blocks from me, who was looking for a Siberian puppy. She had 2 litters on the ground, but neither litter had any available and her waiting list still held 5 very disappointed families, so she asked whether he'd be interested in an adult since she knew I was becoming more upset and confused about what to do with Summer.

He said he'd like to meet her, and when we got back from Christmas break, he and his 10 year old daughter came over to check her out.

They fell in love, but said they needed to talk about it first, and left.

An hour later, he called back and asked what kind of dog food she ate, as they were at the mall and would pick some up before they came to pick her up for a trial run.

Summer's now been living with them since New Year's Day. I visited with them and her last week for a few hours, and she seems happy and pampered and very well loved.

I think it's a great fit for her. He grew up with Siberians, and his former best fur friend passed away more than 10 years ago, and he had just recently made the decision to get back on the horse. His daughter and Summer keep each other company since her school is within a 2 minute walk, and Summer seems to enjoy having 2 people to tend to her every need and belly rub.

I still miss her everyday, and there are so many aspects of my life that seem lacking without my dog around, but I knew this was the best decision for me and her and I just hope it all works out for the best. He doesn't gain full ownership of her until she's been spayed, and he's been speaking to a few vet's and trying to reach a decision on which one would be best to use, so that should be shortly.

I do have more news, but I'll post that later, since I really have to get ready for work now.

1 Comments:

Blogger Quirky Cori said...

Oh sweetie, I'm so sorry to hear that. I send big hugs to you.

Now post and tell us the other news darnit! I want to know what's going on with my lil' sister!!!!

Friday, January 26, 2007 at 5:09:00 AM PST

 

Post a Comment

<< Home