I'm a few clowns short of a circus, and unfortunately I've disillusioned myself into thinking I can write. Godspeed.

Saturday, December 16, 2006

$20 and a horse named Nassau

I know. Yet again I've been slacking. But with the hustle and bustle of the season upon us, a boyfriend recovering from surgery and a dog who is seemingly getting worse behaved by the day, I just have a hard time making the time to sit down and tap out the day to days.

Anywho, yesterday was Wayne's Christmas party for Avialta, the company that he was working for when his appendix decided to give out.

They held it at the Northlands Spectrum, which for anyone not familiar with Edmonton is the horse track. Brilliant idea on their behalf, as they rented a suite overlooking the track, had a catered dinner and bar set up and all the employees, et al, spent the evening getting pleasantly wasted and betting their money on the ponies.

Races 1 I bet on a horse named KG N Krafty who won me nothing. Since it was a safe $2 bet, I shrugged and smiled and let it go. Race 2 I went with the favorite, Lucky Jenny, and bet she'd 'Show' which means she'd place somewhere 1st through 3rd. She won the race and I won my $2 bet back plus a 20 cent profit.

By race 3, I was starting to feel a little more comfortable so I bet $5 on the dark horse named Nassau that had the lowest odds 10 minutes before post. I even went so far as to bet he'd 'Place', which means he'd come in either first or second.

I had a feeling. And the jockey had on red silks, which seemed like some sort of odd omen for me.

On the last bend before the finish, I was shaking and smiling as I simultaneously watched the TV screen and the track through the blizzard-like conditions outside, and saw my horse going all out at the head of the pack.

He won. And the odds were slim enough on that happening that I doubled my money.

Race 4 I bombed, betting on another favorite who finished somewhere right at the back.

And Race 5 I bet $3 that horse 3, Mattjestic Pistol would place, and $2 that Horse 2, Pandoori would show. They actually both showed, but in the other order. Pandoori won the race, and Mattjestic Pistol came in third, therefore making my money back on horse 2 and losing on horse 3.

And there, any semblance of a winning streak stopped.

But all in all, I spent a grand total of $20 the entire evening, so I think that was brilliant success.

Betting on the ponies and drinking complimentary wine: A fine way to spend a Friday evening.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home