I'm a few clowns short of a circus, and unfortunately I've disillusioned myself into thinking I can write. Godspeed.

Thursday, November 16, 2006

The Universe Hates Dancing

For months and months now, Mr. Roberts and I had been discussing hitting up a latin nightclub in the northend to take the free salsa lessons they offer 3 times a week on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday nights.

So many weeks, we'd make plans, and for whatever reason (lethargy, laziness, previous obligations, etc) we'd break them and not attend the lessons.

Last week we made tentative plans again, but for some reason, we just didn't make it.

This week we planned to go -- no ifs ands or buts about it. This week we'd learn how to salsa. Even if it was just a little bit.

So last night at 8:30-ish, he shows up with comfy shoes, picks me up and we head up to the northend. I remember the location of the club, well, as I used to pass it every day on the LRT to work, so I directed him and we made it there with 10 minutes to spare.

We pull into the street and he asks where to park. There are cars lined up along the street and it doesn't look like there's much available. I, meanwhile, am looking around for the club itself, because where it USED to stand, there is now a burned pile of rubble in a fenced off area.

That's right -- the one week we finally pull through and decide to go dancing, the damn place burns to the ground.



Fire destroys Edmonton nightclub
Last Updated: Monday, November 13, 2006 | 3:10 PM MT
CBC News
Edmonton fire officials are investigating a fire that razed a nightclub, causing $1.5 million in damage.

The blaze at Azucar Latin Nightclub at 118 Avenue and 78 Street began in two places early Sunday morning.

Spokeswoman Erin Gon says firefighters were still spraying water on hotspots 12 hours after the early-morning fire began.

She says the evidence does point to arson.

"The building is a total loss," she said. "I think the roof was gone and the interior was virtually gutted."

Gon said there doesn't seem to be a link between the blaze and a fire at the same nightclub a year ago.



*sigh*

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home