I'm a few clowns short of a circus, and unfortunately I've disillusioned myself into thinking I can write. Godspeed.

Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Times are a Changin'

I've decided something.

Kids today are wimps.

I trick-or-treated up until the ripe old age of 16 (free candy, y'all!) and I remember hauling my little brothers up and down streets and lying about my age to everyone that asked. I was 12. Perpetually 12, just tall for my age.

We'd be freezing, and sometimes a little grouchy by the end of the night, but we'd always come home with a bare minimum of one pillowcase full of candy each. Sometimes it might be two.

I even remember trick or treating when I was a kid with my dad. Sometimes I'd beg to go home and he'd always say 'Just one more house' until we'd completed the block. And then the next. I didn't realize until I was older that the only reason he was so gung ho about it was because the more houses we hit, the greater the chances of more tootsie rolls for him.

Last night Mr. Roberts and I sat at home, watched a movie and waited for trick or treaters to ring the doorbell.

Kid #1, a little girl all of 5 in a princess costume, got a big handful to start. She started to turn away, and I called her back, giving her another handful. Her father gave me a quizzical look and started protesting, but I just looked at him and said, "She's the first, she might well be the last. She deserves the candy".

She was the first, but the other 2 after that were the last.

That's right.

I had a grand total of 3 kids last night.

I had 6 kids last year.

Why?

Because kids would rather go to a mall and get a single piece of candy from every store than walk around a residential block and get 3 times as much.

So next year should I even bother buying candy for a bunch of kids that would rather go to the mall?

Is the tradition of trick or treating at Halloween a dying tradition?

Or maybe Halloween is just morphing in a highly commercial holiday in which mothers shop while kids get their sugar fixes.

I really don't know. But I'm disappointed.

3 Comments:

Blogger DTD Time Traveler said...

Well, my friends and I still have imagination. We all made home made costumes this year to go to our various costume parties.

You have to remember Bree, that you trick or treated in a much smaller place. We have the same big city problem here, being not the nicest neighborhood...we got about 15 groups of kids.

Friday, November 3, 2006 at 6:29:00 PM PST

 
Blogger breepeace said...

Well how do we explain Tara having a grand total of 9 in little old Tumbler? :)

Sunday, November 5, 2006 at 10:30:00 AM PST

 
Blogger Quirky Cori said...

James and I got 9 kids too. I wasn't even home from work yet. By the time I arrived the streets were empty. It was so weird and it was only like 8. It wasn't even snowing or anything! What's up with that?

Monday, November 6, 2006 at 5:03:00 PM PST

 

Post a Comment

<< Home