I'm a few clowns short of a circus, and unfortunately I've disillusioned myself into thinking I can write. Godspeed.

Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Dear ETS:

You bunch of inept, brainless morons.

I could accept that you started renovating the Westmount Transit centre in late September -- it made no sense that you'd begin undertaking such a big project shortly before the snow flew but I had enough faith that you had contractors efficient enough to get the job done in time.

Alas, you didn't. And it's still not done. And February seems like a pipe dream years in the future. Which means all the people waiting for buses that don't come are standing outside in severely cold temperatures in small, cramped plastic shelters relying only on the close proximity of the other (unfriendly and just as cold) ETS passengers to stay warm.

Smart. Thanks a million.

I also love the fact that because you've done that and moved all the bus stops at that one particular transit station, calling Buslink makes no sense because you didn't update it and it gives you the timetables for another bus. That rocks. I love knowing when the 128 to Northgate comes. That really helps me figure out when my bus in the WESTEND will come pick me up at my WESTEND stop and take me to my WESTEND home. Super.

I can even accept the fact that your Jasper Place terminal is now without heat. I guess it makes sense that you guys had it turned on when it was 10 outside with a light drizzle in late August, but have now decided to just put a kibosh on the hole 'keeping your riders comfortable' thing now that it's nearing 40 below. It's awful, but I expect nothing better from you.

But standing outside in the frigid temperatures we have been experiencing lately from 8 to 8:30 when the bus is scheduled to come at 8:09 is becoming a little ridiculous. It's simply too cold to be standing outside for a half hour, especially if you're waiting for something that's never seems to be a sure thing anymore.

And you know what? I wouldn't complain if this only happened once or twice, but when it becomes a daily occurence and not just at the times mentioned above, or at the bus stop I frequent every morning, I have to say -- we have a problem here.

Your downtown routes aren't running when scheduled, your Southside routes aren't running as scheduled. In fact, the only thing that seems to be running as scheduled is the damned LRT, and since that only covers riders from University to Clareview, I'm exempt, but let's not even get started on the whole 'it was supposed to run to the Westend in the first 10 years they had it up and running'.

And the city wants to raise property taxes? For what benefits? Perhaps to pay the amazing road crews doing the stellar grading job on the roads? I like the whole skating rink effect all of our main thoroughfairs in the city have going on. It gives it a whole new appeal for thrill seekers and those that love frequenting the hospital.

"Ooh, I wonder if I'll get into a fatal car accident and die this morning!"

But not to get off the subject. The point is I pay this astronomical $59 a month to get to work at a reasonable hour, but so far this month I've also paid another $100 in cab fare just to meet that criteria. I'm out there at a reasonable time, and I will wait for a reasonable time and I ride the bus for an hour to and an hour from work, and if I'm 5 minutes late for it, so be it. But you, you need a contingency plan, because I'm not the only pissed off transit commuter in the city of Edmonton tonight.

Sincerely,

One Pissed Off Lady

PS. For any fellow commuters who are just as upset as I am email, write or call ETS customer services and maybe we can make a difference, and stop being forced to cough up more money than anyone can afford to be spending before the holidays because our transit system sucks.

1 Comments:

Blogger Callie said...

you go girl... still say you should send this in

Saturday, December 2, 2006 at 12:01:00 AM PST

 

Post a Comment

<< Home