I'm a few clowns short of a circus, and unfortunately I've disillusioned myself into thinking I can write. Godspeed.

Thursday, June 22, 2006

A Wedding Story

A lot of times, late at night, and when there are no good cartoons on, I'll switch to the Life Network and watch whatever is on. Earlier this fall, when Tammy and Jer lived here, she and I used to put him to bed and then watch Blind Date and other shows in that thread. I assumed that was what would be on at this hour, however, the people in charge of programming decided to taunt the poor single people watching late night TV with shows about weddings.

Rather than watching Sons of Butcher, which I hate, or going to sleep, which didn't seem to be an option, I folded laundry and watched Rich Bride, Poor Bride. For anyone who's never watched, the premise is that you watch the couple purchasing for, planning and executing their wedding and then they reveal how much their budget was and how much they actually spent. The couple on the show I watched had a gorgeous, understated, yet elegant, affair. Her dress was beautiful, the cake was beautiful, the hall was beautiful and they had Hawaiian dancers for entertainment post-dinner and pre-dancing. They remained a full $750 under budget. Their budget?

$45,000.

My jaw dropped to the floor. I contemplated waking my big sis, who is consumed by the need to get hitched before she turns 30 and ask her if this is true, and if so, if she's insane. My God.. for $45,000, continue to live in sin, get him to buy you a ring to state his commitment and put down a nice down payment on a cute little starter home.

$45,000. Wow. That's unbelievable.

I mean, it's a dream most women have. To be entering a life with a man you love, and the celebration surrounding it. From the time I was a little girl I used to dream about my wedding, and admittedly, hearing the girls at work (I am one of 3 who are currently not engaged or married, although I spotted one wistfully looking at the webpage for Spence last week) talk about their pending nuptuals and the plans they have sometimes makes me think about what my own would be like.

Corina and I talk about it a lot, too. I'm sure we'd just have to say the word and she'd be off like a shot setting things in motion from the plans she's already made. Me? I know what my bouquet would be and what my bridesmaid dresses would be colored. Other than that? I'm clueless.

So.. is it all worth it? For that one day in the sun and the chance to have the wonderful memories it generates?

I may never know.. weddings cost an arm and a leg, so I may have to cut mine off in order to contribute, and then who would marry me?

4 Comments:

Blogger Quirky Cori said...

Hey hon!

I have to laugh that you put this on there because honestly, that's one of my if not the favourite show a la moment!

I've seen some really interesting affairs on the show. The one that I remember the most was a $60,000 budget that they went over with. Of course they had a Chinese and Canadian celebration and the bride wore 5 dresses. Yes you heard right - FIVE!!!!!

See now typical weddings are in and around the $20,000 range. That's about average. But I know people that have been able to spend much less than that and still have a gorgeous wedding.

Initially, I wanted to spend about $3000 but when I figured out that most catering companies charge $20 per person - that leaves me with half my budget gone to food. I think we are looking at about 5-7 thousand and according to the bridal websites - that is about average.

I did this little test to look at how much your wedding should be to be able to help you plan your budget. You look at how much money you are getting from all your sets of parents (they assume that everyone is divorced nowadays). Then you look at what you've already saved and what you can save by the time the wedding rolls around. I'm not sure how much James can save but when it was all said and done we were at about $7000 without his help.

Weddings are expensive endeavours - and this is why I want to take opportunities to cut costs by doing a lot of things myself. Devon and I have even talked about taking a cake decorating course. James and I will probably make our own invitations. We have cut the guest list to about 80 people (you are on it!!!). I want to make my own centrepieces, with James mother's help for suppliers. Another way to save costs is to get married at the same place as your reception and to get married on a Friday. Things that I"m pretty certain I am going ot do.

After all, weddings can be small or huge, but if your budget doesn't match what you want, you are going to go in supreme debt. Something I really don't need!

So yeah, anytime you wanna talk about this stuff, feel free. It was an eye opener for me too. And as you said, I can go off running once weddings are mentioned. We'll see how I am when I really truly am engaged and have to go over the budget!

Did you happen to catch the show after it - I Do, Let's Eat! That show was great. I'd love to fill my parents back yard with sand and have my reception around the pool. They'd kill me of course but whatever!

Thursday, June 22, 2006 at 6:55:00 AM PDT

 
Blogger Unknown said...

what the hell are you doing bringing up weddings and corina for LOL just joking!

i had a great ceremony/wedding pictures on blog and the whole thing costed 7500. which isn't bad considering i managed a full 4 hour paid bar for all my guests at that cost.

Thursday, June 22, 2006 at 2:11:00 PM PDT

 
Blogger Unknown said...

oh and I didn't make anything myself either.
invites were bought, cake *cupcakes* were bought ect.

Thursday, June 22, 2006 at 2:11:00 PM PDT

 
Blogger DTD Time Traveler said...

Just think about how much money per hour that is. Or maybe even go down to how much money you are spending for each minute of the event. Is it really worth it?

Thursday, June 22, 2006 at 9:33:00 PM PDT

 

Post a Comment

<< Home