I'm a few clowns short of a circus, and unfortunately I've disillusioned myself into thinking I can write. Godspeed.

Sunday, May 14, 2006

Inked

Almost every girl I knew who had a tattoo in high school had a butterfly. On their stomach, their hip, their ankle or the small of their back.. they all had a slightly different butterfly. So at 16 years old I was the ONLY girl I knew who had a tattoo that was NOT a butterfly.

I had a star.

Today it seems like the star has replaced the butterfly as the commonplace trend in symbology to be etched in ink on skin.

But back when I was 16 years old, stoned out of my mind in the tattoo artist's chair with my pants off (I knew I wanted it on my thigh), I chose a symbol seemingly out of the air. I wanted something that said, "Baby, there's no place but up from here", and I wanted the color to be a constant reminder of what it was I was getting away from.

I'm 22 now.. and that was 6 years ago, so the way I look at it. I started the bloody trend. So there.

In any case, I hid it successfully from my mom for about 2 years until I finally got the courage one day to admit I'd got one. She denied me the ink from the time I was 14 and told me when I was 18 I could do whatever I felt like. I was a rebellious teenager on drugs, but I don't regret it one bit.

Two weeks after I told her, we made an appointment to go get Mother/Daughter tattoos, and here's the result from that:

Obviously, I'm a Scorpio. She's a Cancer and got a crab on the back of her calf.

I have an idea for my next tattoo, but I need a budding artist to do the legwork with the drawings. Any volunteers?

2 Comments:

Blogger Jeff C. said...

Don't get a tatoo on the small of your back. Some doctors won't give you an epidural during pregnancy if you do. The ink could mess with the needle and get into your spine...not good.

Sunday, May 14, 2006 at 8:14:00 PM PDT

 
Blogger Quirky Cori said...

Wow, what informative and excellent advice. Thank you jeff crowder.

Tuesday, May 16, 2006 at 4:59:00 AM PDT

 

Post a Comment

<< Home