I'm a few clowns short of a circus, and unfortunately I've disillusioned myself into thinking I can write. Godspeed.

Friday, February 10, 2006

The First Day

Well, I started my first shift at the temp job today. I haven't done a whole lot of reception work in the past, but everything I remember about switchboards and telephone protocol seems to have stuck with me.

The receptionist was pretty much off in her own world today, likely because of her vacation this next week, but for the most part the job just entails answering overflow calls and typing correspondance/memos (which I rock at).

The strangest thing happened today, though. We'd just got back from our smoke break where I was telling her about corporate hell I called my last job, when who walks in but my old Regional manager.

He walks by the reception desk, raises his hand in greeting, walks around the corner and then comes back and looks at me.

"I know you", he says.

"Well, I sure hope so", I respond.

"You worked under me at [insert Corporate hell's name here, for libel purposes I prefer to keep my mouth shut], umm, umm, Bridgit", he says triumphantly.

"Hi Mike", was really all I could say.

He looked like hell. I guess his life sort of became hell after he got canned.

A week after he left the company, his wife left him.

I really didn't know what to say.

"Wow, rough week", was what I managed.

He's working this crappy courier job, living in a cramped bachelor's apartment behind Toys 'R Us on 97th Street, and he hasn't got paid yet this month.

That's rough. I remember the day of the manager's meeting when my buddy (and mentor) Jason got his walking papers.

Mike was so shaken up, I mean, the poor guy had only been there for a few weeks and was already forced to fire someone who probably knew more about big business than him and who's only fault was not taking a forced paycut.

Jason just happened to be my ride that day, so Mike offered to give me a lift home, since Jay had his own affairs to deal with.

The ride home was so awkward.. he just kept saying, "It's a shitty, shitty world, Bridgit", and a month or so later when we were bought out, he was the only one decent enough to tell me a demotion was the only way to save my job.

I mean, we had our differences throughout the corporate takeover, and sometimes he just pissed me off so much, but that's tough. I feel for him.

He's right.. sometimes the world is a Shitty, Shitty place.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home