I'm a few clowns short of a circus, and unfortunately I've disillusioned myself into thinking I can write. Godspeed.

Sunday, February 12, 2006

Countdown to V Day



Ugh.. so about 2 days until the dreaded annual fabricated greeting card holiday that I'm certain is specifically designed to make the single woman feel like a piece of loser crap.

What a wonderful day.

It's:

The day the attached guy goes for broke, spending more than his beer budget for a month on flowers, dinner and chocolates in the hope that his girl will put out tonight instead of declaring the old 'I've got a headache' line and leaving him with a chaste kiss on the cheek.

The day the attached woman hopes beyond all hope that her boyfriend of a year buys her the necklace she's been hinting about since before Christmas (remember -- the Christmas she got a blender?) and honestly hopes he wasn't really listening to her ramble about her toaster being broken. NOT that she's making a big deal out of this 'fake holiday' or anything, though, right?

The day the single man goes to the pub with his buddies and is cheerful that he can discuss hockey and cars at length while he drinks his 1, 2, 7 pints and has no set time to be home, nor any lady at home upset that he's missing this 'special day'.

The day the single girl sits at home crying into a pint of ice cream, watching 'When Harry Met Sally' for the 700th time, wishing her male best friend weren't gay, and secretly was in love with her.

Wait.. that's just me. Not that I'm harbouring feelings of love towards Corey or Ross or anything..

Honest.



Don't mind me.. I'm sitting here eating my chocolate digestives and belting out songs by Foreigner and the Righteous Brothers songs, if this is my Saturday night you know I'll be writing bitter V Day posts. Especially in light of the fact that every Valentine's for the past 5 years, I've not had a steady boyfriend. The last gift I got for it was a silver necklace back in high school. Last year my coworker bought me flowers just so I wouldn't feel so dejected.

Ross and I made a pact to go to the gym together on Tuesday.. we figure there has to be other singles out there as pathetic as us, or at least people guilty enough to seek a treadmill after eating their pints of Haagen Dazs.

However.. if anyone is so inclined to send me a bouquet or Casablanca or Stargazer Lilies to the office next week, I'm not opposed.

God.. Valentine's is a rotten day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home