I'm a few clowns short of a circus, and unfortunately I've disillusioned myself into thinking I can write. Godspeed.

Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Vic-TORY

I fell asleep last night at a very decent hour, and didn't have a chance to check the results of yesterday's election.

Woke up this morning and promptly checked yahoo.ca to see if my vote for change made a difference at all, and I guess it did!

Although I have friends in Ontario that I really care about, I am part of the Western movement that believes we've been dominated by Ontario and Quebec for too long. I don't feel that the west has had a voice in a long time, and it puts my mind at ease knowing that the Tory's leader is based out of Calgary and will ensure that the West gets the same treatment our friends in Central Canada have always got. It feels like a win for the west.

For the past 12 years, Canada has been under Liberal rule, which for me, means that for the entire portion of my life I've been conscious of politics, I've only ever experienced Liberal government. And I enjoy change.

I'm excited to think that things might change. Optimistic might be a better word.. but there's still an underlaying current of excitement for me.

And hey.. if it really doesn't work out, we only have to deal with it for 4 years. Four years is not a lot of time in the grand scope of things.

And no.. I'm not part of the Western seperatists. I love my country, and have no intentions on wanting to be a part of seperating from it.

Something else I wanted to address is the utter APATHY most people my age have for voting.

It doesn't make a difference. My vote doesn't count.

They're all criminals and liars anyway.

I don't know who to vote for.

I'm too busy. I have to work/clean/cook/go to the gym.


C'mon people.. 15 minutes every 4 years. You spend that much time staring at walls everyday, and the polls are open for 12 hours on election day!

Take an active interest in the world outside the clubs... your vote does count (if it didn't, why would people vote at all?)

It's one of our only democratic rights, so take advantage of it!

Why the apathy?

PS. Did you know it's actually a serious breach of the Canada Elections act to eat your ballot?

Hmm.. learn something new everyday!

3 Comments:

Blogger amy said...

hahaha, don't suppose I've ever eaten a ballot. Then again, I've never voted either. Anyways huzzah to the conservatives, and have a good term.

Tuesday, January 24, 2006 at 11:28:00 AM PST

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Being from NB (husband from NFLD)
and have lived in Ontario for 5 plus years I have always been not a liberal but not a conservative either...

My husband is in Edmonton as we speak and i arrive next month, at least i am joining the right province to be under harper rule right

Tuesday, January 24, 2006 at 4:26:00 PM PST

 
Blogger breepeace said...

Hey Khrystena,

Yeah.. I guess Alberta would be the place since Harper's hometown is Calgary.

Bring Corina with ya, alright? ;)

Tuesday, January 24, 2006 at 5:09:00 PM PST

 

Post a Comment

<< Home