I'm a few clowns short of a circus, and unfortunately I've disillusioned myself into thinking I can write. Godspeed.

Sunday, January 22, 2006

Define "Love"

Now that I've had some time to think on it.. I think I can improve on my definition of the word 'love'.

The Webster's definition of love:

love (luv) n. [1. a strong affection or liking for someone or something 2. a passionate affection for one of the opposite sex 3. the object of such affection; sweetheart


I have a few problems with this definition. I feel strong affection for many people in my life, but not to the extent that I could say I love them. And it is 2006... a passionate affection for one of the opposite sex is not an apt definition in this day and age. Nor is purely passion itself.

Love is pure unadulterated joy at seeing that person or hearing from that person. That warm and comfortable feeling you have when you're near them. Understanding, support.

You fall asleep thinking of them in some capacity, and when you wake up, the same thing. The nights you're lucky enough to fall asleep together with that person, you can't help but feel infinite and content.

They never 'complete you'.. they compliment you.

You can appreciate their quirks and eccentricities because you know they make that person, the person they are. He has to sleep on a specific side of the bed, she's an ace in the kitchen, but always burns toast. You've always found it adorable, and with each passing day, that doesn't change.

You feel important, accepted, cherished, understood and everything else that is good in the world by this person.

So... not short enough to be the dictionary definition, but we can find faults in brevity, too. I think I can apply this definition of love to every person I claim to love today.

In any case.. not a word to be bandied around with for sure. I was never the kind of girl who rushed up to her friends in the hallways between classes, exclaiming, "Oh-my-God.. I love you!". I take the usage of such a word seriously.

Any other additions?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home