I'm a few clowns short of a circus, and unfortunately I've disillusioned myself into thinking I can write. Godspeed.

Saturday, December 03, 2005

You know you're a dog person when...

The sound of any liquid hitting the floor two rooms away at 3 a.m. Is enough to launch you out of bed; but otherwise you can sleep through a ringing telephone, the alarm clock, earthquake tremors, etc.
(Especially with a new puppy in the house!)

The whereabouts of all your important legal and personal documents escapes you, yet you know precisely where to locate the file that includes all the vet records, breeding records and registration papers.
(I think my most recent bank statement is under Summer's Canadian Kennel Club New Champion certificate with the rest of the dog papers)

You buy vitamin supplements for your dog and administer them daily, but consider yourself fortunate if you remember totake your own more than twice a week.
(And I wonder why I get sick if someone sneezes in a half mile radius, while my dogs maintain constitutions as strong as bulls)

You justify the addition of a significant other in your life so you can have someone to hold the dogs when you're out walking in town and want to run into a store to buy coffee or an ice cream.
(They do help, although I can make do)

You watch simply awful movies because your breed is either featured in a cameo scene or there's a 3-second camera shot during a crowd scene.
(Hmm.. the movie 'Homeward Bound II' comes to mind.. I saw a Toller! And guess who noticed the Sibe puppy in the laundry basket in 'The Sixth Sense' first??)

You've memorized you dog's pedigree at least 5 generations back (including coat colors, kennels, and personality descriptions)--but know next to nothing about your own parentage.
(I honestly tried to disprove this one, but quite frankly, my family tree cuts off at Great Grandparents)

Your dog brings a dead bird/squirrel into the kitchen and generously gives it to you with a big doggie smile. You say "For me? Thank you." and take it for granted it is just another day
(Squirrels I draw the line at, although I am maintaining a rapidly growing collection of random yard garbage)

You meet other people with dogs, and remember their dog's call name after 30 seconds, but don't get the owner/handler's name until you've met them 2 or 3 times. (At which point you know the dog's registered name, lineage, show history, and probably only the first name of the owner/handler) OR You can only remember people by associating them with their dog
(Hahaha.. I'll admit it, I know a lot of people as 'Bruno's Mom' and not as Marie, especially in show circles. It's usually "The girl with the really nice Irish Setter bitch?")

You have your dog's picture on your office desk (but no one else's)
(And whenever a client or coworker so much as mentions a dog, I have to show off my 'kids')

You have nose and paw prints on all glass surfaces and you leave them there because cleaning them seems so futile at this point.
(Back door, front picture window, and front screen door have a custom Summer paw painted mural, and I *thought* about cleaning them, but then how would people know a dog lives there? I mean, aside from the Husky hair woven into the furniture, and the food.)

You don't work late or socialize after work because you have to get home totake care of your dog.
(It's great having a new puppy, now I don't have to blow drinks after work off for "I'll be washing my hair", it's a totally valid excuse! "Puppy needs out, sorry!")

You buy premium quality dog kibble for your dog, but live on take-out, frozen pizza, and blue-box macaroni and cheese yourself.
(Or Lipton Sidekicks! Bonus points because my dogs eat steak more than I do!)

Hahahahaha.. Dogs are great!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home