I'm a few clowns short of a circus, and unfortunately I've disillusioned myself into thinking I can write. Godspeed.

Friday, November 18, 2005

Hello, my name is Bridgit -- I'll be calling your bluff today


Had an interesting conversation last night --

Have you ever ran into an ex, or chatted with them a few months after the breakup and you feel like you're trying to shove some facade of your sunshine-y new life, sans them, down their throat to make them sorry they lost you?

You try to sound believable, and usually come out of the conversation feeling slightly deflated and like a complete loser.

I'm guilty of this in the past with several exes. Either work is going great and I got a great raise/promotion, or the new guy I'm seeing is the perfect man or I just got this great place or something stupid. It's just something I've always done to cope with a particularly awkward situation.. I call it the 'My-Life-Without-You Rocks!' syndrome, and I got to be at the receiving end last night.

A guy I was seeing over the summer happened to pop onto MSN today, and since I haven't talked to him since the ominous 'end of things' I decided to IM him a quick hello to let him know there were no hard feelings.

As follows.. our conversation.. I've changed his name out of courtesy. For brevity purposes, GUY is him. (Text in purple and brackets is just my interjections)

Me - Hi GUY, how are ya?
GUY- fine GUY - rich and feelin happy
Me - Sweet
Me - You been out at camp then?
GUY - on the rigs... a motor man i make 35 an hour and make close to 9000 a month (Here's where my suspicions start to arise.. Bullshit lie #1)
GUY - my girlfriend is very happy (Can't help but giggle.. it's a poor attempt at trying to stir jealousy in me, unfortunately I'm off the firm frame of mind it's either Bullshit lie #2 or him bragging about his gold digging new girl, either way.. still funny)
Me - Oh yeah? My friend Matt is on motors.
Me - Which outfit? :)
GUY - Ensign.....
GUY - im off for a couple of days..... but i have to go
Me - Nice.. ditto
GUY - my tattoo appointment is in an hour (tat appointment at 10 pm?)
Me - Ciao

First things first.. Matt and I just had a really candid conversation not 2 weeks ago about what we make, and $35/hr is what a Driller makes an hour.. not a motor man. They make considerably less. Also.. if Ensign paid $35/hr to start, even the most loyal of employees would leave their outfits to work there.. especially if they had experience.

#2 - A new guy getting hired straight into a Motor man position? With a starting wage of $35/hr?

#3.. for as long as I've known GUY, he's never struck me as mechanically inclined in the least -- obviously a must for a guy working motors on the rigs.

#4 - I've been around the dating game long enough to know that when an ex volunteers that they have a girlfriend right off the bat without being asked, and stressed that their S.O. is quite happy, it's a ploy. The girlfriend.. always fictional.


Anyway.. I've learned my lesson.. this sort of overcompensation just makes you look like a hurting, dishonest fool.. never again will I make this mistake.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home