I'm a few clowns short of a circus, and unfortunately I've disillusioned myself into thinking I can write. Godspeed.

Thursday, January 20, 2005

Reminiscent Slacking

Whoo..

It's been weeks and you'd think I have a lot to catch up on, but in truth, I have had one really big life change and a lot of the same monotony. Thus.. why I haven't felt the need to add anything to my blog (still loving that word!). Somehow (and know that James and I love you in spite of this, sis), adding a drink of the day, just really would feel like copping out!

Have you ever watched late night cartoons? I'm addicted to the Detour on Teletoon (formerly Teletoon Unleashed). They're all these re-runs of adult-ish cartoons, and sometimes after a hard day it feels damn good to just sit with a bowl of cereal (also a late night addiction of mine as of late) and watch them. They require no thought, no brain power, no concentration.

Everytime I watch them, it brings me back to springtime in Jasper. Did I ever mention that? I lived in Jasper for 9 months... I could glorify it for you and tell you it was an amazing experience that changed my life, but I'd likely be stretching the truth. Jasper's great.. for the weekend. I still bemoan the fact that I spent the total of 5 of my total current paycheques in 9 months on drinking alone, but hey, I was 18. I'm forgiven. In any case, the place had it's good points, too. There's just this sense of freedom when you're 18 years old, walking home from a good day's work, at a decent paying job, and it's 11 at night and the mountain air is so crisp and fresh. I'd get home, make some pasta and zonk in front of Teletoon Unleashed for 4 straight hours, usually opting to fall asleep when the old Spiderman episodes came on (don't get me wrong.. I love Spidey, but that old animation that seemed so great when you were a kid, pales in comparison to today's). So now.. it sounds corny and trite, I know, but I feel like I did back then, 3 years ago, whenever I sit down and watch an episode of Undergrads that I know I watched one night in my crappy little apartment in Jasper with the ugly orange shag carpet.

When I first moved out on my own after I got to Edmonton, I rented this room in a shared accommodation type setup in the landlord's basement. We shared the laundry room, bathroom and kitchen, and paid a set amount for rent and utilities. Now in retrospect, I got completely ripped off, but when you're a 'barely above minimum wage' retail bum, you take what you can get. The landlord let me pay him 1/2 a month on the first and then on the fifteenth and I could have my cat, but I went through 3 roommates in my first 2 months, and you always felt a little strange about living in someone's basement, knowing that they could keep an eye on your every move. But we had cable!

Oh yeah.. the blessed gift of cable.. something I KNOW I couldn't have afforded the pleasure of if I'd gone the apartment route! So some nights I'd get home, chill out on my couch and turn on Teletoon.. It's like a comforting old friend.

So sometimes, even when I felt completely out of my element, and sort of depressed about my current situation, all it would take was this glimpse into my past to uplift me.

So.. the big change?

Well.. I got my transfer. *pauses for effect*

I did.

And now?

I'm the manager, too!

It's an utter mess though.. it's going to take 2 straight weeks of pulling suspect files (methinks the former manager made a lot more than her paycheques and monthly bonus, if you know what I'm saying) and auditing everything before things start to sail smoothly. Basically, I'm trial though. My Area Manager, who is a great guy, has given me the position based on the large amount of recommendations he's recieved on my behalf from more than 4 of the 'big guys' at head office, and is now giving me 2 months to prove myself worthy. I'll update that later, though.

2 weeks to go and I have my girl in her next (and hopefully, FINAL) show in Calgary. I'm beyond excited, albeit a bit nervous about the part where she is BALD (FYI.. not in a literal sense, but for anyone doing the whole dog fancy thing, you understand what I mean.. a dog handler's woes) and won't eat! So as I'm cramming tuna and pasta down her throat in hopes that she may gain that elusive 3 pounds (at which point, her weight will be perfection!), while I contemplate the drawbacks of crazee gluing her clumps of fur back on to make it look like she has full show coat, I pray the the God(s?) that she will gain those last points and finally become a Canadian Champion. Then (YAY!) I get to come up with $750 for a stud fee, and $300 for health clearances, so I can get my dog laid. Maybe I should give up smoking.. and eating...

Don't ever deny I'm not a good mom to my dog.. I also half thought about applying at 7/11 to come up with the cash for Summer to meet her dream man faster. Now that's love!

Anyway.. now I'm rambling... although that's not overly surprising considering it's quarter to one in the morning, and most sane people are asleep.


To brighten your life.. I also supplied a drink recipe. I can't vouch for it's taste, as my sole experience with it was sub par to say the least, but it's something that ties in with my current feelings...

This one's for you Cori!

Freddy Fudpucker

Ingredients:

Mixing instructions:

Pour the tequila and orange juice into a highball glass almost filled with ice cubes. Pouring slowly and carefully over the back of a teaspoon, float the Galliano on top of the drink.

Blatantly copied and pasted from The Webtender.

PS. I apologize for the lack of wit in this post. I am losing my touch.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home